Thursday, August 08, 2013

Bartolo Colon's pitching last night makes you wonder

The Oakland A's took a tough loss last night as they fell to Cincinnati, 6-5. The offense looked much stronger than previous games in the last few weeks, however, the problem seemed to lie with a one Mr. Bartolo Colon. As much as anyone doesn't want to admit it, he probably should be sent to the bullpen. His velocity is down and he just wasn't 100%. As begrudging it is admitting this, I'm thirty-something and I know I couldn't compete with guys 10-15 years younger than I in athletics. I was a strong and competitive person and I believe I still am. However, I recognize my limitations when it comes to competing with guys half my age. I'm not saying that Mr. Colon doesn't see it. I'm saying the A's have to make a decision on where to play him. If they want to utilize his skills, don't start him. Use him at the relief position to get the most from him. It's more gracious to let an older player continue to use himself in a relief capacity than to see him fade from a starting position.

No comments: