Monday, August 05, 2013

I'm having some difficulty with something.

Yes, this post is baseball related. Here's my question. Is it possible to be a fan of a player or team and still be a friend to them? What I mean, is this. Minor league teams tend to be in smaller cities, towns and areas altogether. The communities are close and the residents or citizens are close. So, they feel "their" team is "their" team and "their" players are "their" players. The players on said teams, based on the fact that they play for that particular city, must live in close proximity to the location of the ballpark, relatively speaking. In most cases, these players did not grow up close to these places, let alone the same state so spending off days locally is usually their only option.

So, all that being said, how difficult is it for these guys to make and keep 'good' friends? Personally, and I think I speak for many guys my age, that I think it would be cool to have a friend that's a baseball player. Again though, I'm thinking in terms of a fan's point of view. But that's not all it is to me. I played baseball and love the game. I never got to the level that these guys have and never will. I find what they go through and deal with day-to-day very intriguing.

But let's honest, if this guy or girl were just an average Joe or Jane in the neighborhood, would you look at them twice? The answer, unfortunately, makes me sad. How can these athletes determine who and who isn't just trying to be seen with them or genuinely interested in being their friend. Athletes in the lower ranks of their sport are very young. Their whole lives have been dedicated to that endeavor. In order to achieve the goal of Major League Baseball, they sacrifice their lives for it. It's time away from their families and homes. They train hard physically and mentally to strengthen themselves to compete with better athletes. They live and breathe this game. Most of them take a loss very hard and rightly so.

Baseball is a tough sport. Some analysts will say that they get paid millions to play a game. However true in generalities, this is a life decision to these guys. How many players actually make it to the Bigs? How much pressure is put on them to succeed through the team, their families and the media? Do they need undue pressure put on them from "friends"?

The bottom line that I believe I have come up with is just this. Be nice. These guys get enough crap everywhere else except when they are on that field. Most are pleasant enough to come over and take pictures, sign your cards or baseballs with no hesitation. Be a true friend. Don't bombard them with your unnecessary BS. Recognize that both you and they will meet thousands of people in their lifetime so don't take it personally if they don't accept every invitation to meet the family.(sarcasm) Mama didn't teach you to be a jackass to anyone, let alone the guy playing your favorite game.


No comments: